Maryland Ambulatory Surgery Facility Consumer Guide

What to do if you have a complaint about a Maryland Ambulatory Surgery Facility

Ambulatory surgery facilities strive to provide safe, efficient, and high quality care. However, problems may arise occasionally in even the best of facilities. Often consumers do not know who to contact when there is a problem with the care that they or a family member received. If you experience a problem, you should consider discussing the issue with the ambulatory surgery facility manager or your physician. Keep a written record of the issue and who you talked with at the facility.

In addition, if you have concerns about your health care or treatment, you have the right to make a formal complaint to the Office of Health Care Quality (OHCQ), an agency in the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. You can first call OHCQ and then send any supporting documentation including:

  • The name of the health care facility;
  • Your name and mailing address so that OHCQ can send you a written report of their investigation;
  • Your daytime phone number, in case they have further questions about your situation; and
  • A clear, concise explanation of your concern or the problem, including the dates and times of specific occurrences.

Note: You may make an anonymous complaint; but OHCQ won't be able to send you a written report of the investigation.

You may also download the Complaint Report Form by clicking on

Submit your complaint to the appropriate licensing unit at:
Office of Health Care Quality
Spring Grove Hospital Center
Bland Bryant Building
55 Wade Avenue
Catonsville, Maryland 21228

For further information or to submit your complaint by phone, call 410-402-8000 Toll-free 877-402-8218.

Additional Options
The Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) will also investigate complaints about a facility that AAAHC has accredited. You can find a list of accredited facilities and the procedures to file a complaint by clicking on You may also contact AAAHC by telephone at 1-847-853-6060.

If Medicare paid for your ambulatory surgery, you can file a complaint with the Medicare Program. Contact information can be found at  or call 1-800-MEDICARE.